There are a range of environmental benefits in using an eSIM:
1. Less raw material: eSIMs don’t require any plastic because the SIM chips are soldered directly into the device
2. Less packaging waste: eSIMs are already included in the device eliminating the for separate packaging for a SIM card
3. Less logistics footprint: eSIMs are delivered directly to production sites
4. Less sales footprint: Network operators sell eSIMs digitally or online, eliminating the need for customers to go to a shop.
5. Less flights: By requiring fewer physical pieces, eSIMs reduce the number of air shipments needed
In a nutshell, CO2 output is greatly reduced. Not only is plastic waste minimized if the SIM card goes fully digital, but also the entire production process, from plastic sourcing to distribution, is eliminated.